According to Gartner, by 2022, 40% of all large enterprises will combine Big Data and machine learning functionality to support and partially replace monitoring, service desk, and automation processes and tasks, up from 5% today.
Gartner predicts that ‘2020 Ready’ IT Operations Management (ITOM) tools will include experience management, delivery management, and performance analysis as part of every enterprise IT operation. ServiceNow ITOM is positioned to empower organizations to deliver added value across all of these three key categories that will drive business success in the near future.
IT Operations — Challenges and Opportunities
Service delivery and operations management are the two major challenges faced by organizations
The biggest challenge that the IT service delivery teams face are service outages — they do more than just disrupt internal operations. Outages can expose the entire organization to lost revenues and reputational damage, putting IT service delivery under tremendous pressure to quickly identify and remediate the issues and prevent full scale crisis.
Common reasons for service outages include:
- Usage of legacy tools that are difficult to use, hard to manage, consume a lot of time, and not user-friendly in general
- Poor time to resolution due to manual processes that take too long and are prone to errors
- Declining internal customer satisfaction with IT service, resulting in ‘shadow IT’ to get work done
The challenges that IT Operations face include:
- Lack of service visibility — organizations don’t necessarily know how a service operates, where the service is running, exactly which servers and parameters are related to it, and how it interacts in the infrastructure as a whole.
- Unreliable service availability — often websites go down, servers crash, and the downtime results in frustrated users calling help desks.
- Slow service delivery — service delayed is service denied, and the lack of prompt responses can result in lost business.
The challenges around service delivery and operations management present a huge opportunity for enterprises to re-look at delivery, availability, and quality of services. Solutions like ServiceNow ITOM make IT Operations Management simpler, which translates into better business results.
Why ServiceNow ITOM Makes Business Sense
The four critical benefits that ServiceNow ITOM makes possible include:
- Advanced level of automation – everything can be automated with ServiceNow
- Service-aware configuration management database (CMDB) – it’s more just a bunch of data, and holds the key to how all configurations and servers work together from a business service perspective
- Total insight – provides access to 360° insights, compared to other tools and solutions
- Control over IT operations – ServiceNow helps organizations have complete control over IT operations and helps businesses by tackling IT obstacles across departments.
ServiceNow ITOM — Key Differentiators
Some of the reasons why ServiceNow ITOM stands out are:
- Uses intelligent discovery to identify and map IT components
- Uses orchestration to enable automated actions and processes
- Maps business services to infrastructure automatically via service mappings
- Integrates event management from monitoring tools to create service awareness
- Removes manual processes and make use of the latest cloud-powered technologies
- Provides one platform for all user levels from top management to service desk agents
- Integrates seamlessly with ITSM and other platforms
How To Start Your ServiceNow ITOM Journey
Sometimes, ServiceNow users look at ITOM and don’t really know where to start.
Organizations that already work with the ServiceNow platform usually find it awesome, then the users, especially the management, operations personnel, and project teams, start to look at ITOM and feelit isn’t that straightforward —there is so much information about ITOM and so many entry points, different data to include! It can seem a bit overwhelming. As a result, there is a certain level of uncertainty and this is where business cases can really help organizations to start rolling out ITOM with ServiceNow.
The fact is that ITOM is not that hard and making it work is only a matter of having a structured approach.
ITOM manages a whole lot of data and the way to succeed is to break it down into smaller chunks and address them one by one. This needs greater awareness about ITOM, which can be achieved by asking the right questions, for instance:
- Where do you struggle? Is it poor time to resolution, outdated legacy tools, or unreliable service availability?
- What scenarios keep repeating? User frustration, huge data sheets, shadow IT?
The most important reason for implementing ITOM is to remove service outages faced by customers. Customers who already are on ServiceNow platform stand to gain by leaps and bounds with the integration of ITOM to their existing platform.
Credits: Icons designed by Flaticon.com